Oh, tame me, Lord! rebellious nature calm

Oh, tame me, Lord! rebellious nature calm,
    Oh, tame me, Lord!
This heart, so tossed and filled with wild alarm,
    Oh, tame me, Lord!
These human longings, let them end in Thee,
And let me be Thy bondslave, even me!
I will not ask Thee to account to me
    For aught Thou dost;
For crosses sore, or paths I cannot see:
    But I will trust.
No second causes shall perplex my soul,
Or stay from yielding all to Thy control.
The raging storm I dare not fight alone,
    Ah, show Thy face!
Say, “It is I!” Thyself to me make known,
    Ah, show Thy face!
Then what care I for darkest depths of woe?
Thine arms, O Christ, shall fold me close, I know!
Oh, save me, Lord! Subdue this stubborn will;
    Oh, save me, Lord!
In spite of all, Thy purposes fulfil
    In me, Oh, Lord;
I yield my self, and all I have and am,
To follow Thee, Thou all redeeming Lamb!
How can I fear? Thou art so near to me;
    How can I fear?
I hear Thee say, “Believe, and thou shalt see!”
    How can I fear?
I now believe, and trust Thy mighty power,
To save, to heal, to keep this very hour!
Steve Miller

Detroit, MI, United States

Catherine Booth-Clibborn was the eldest daughter of William and Catherine Booth, the founders of the Salvation Army. Her 1st speaking engagement was at the age of 14. She pioneered the Army work in France, Switzerland, and Holland and became known as "The Marechale" meaning "The Marshall". She preached many years to the disadvantaged. Due to her preaching efforts she suffered imprisonment and was mobbed, robbed, and threatened with violence. In 1902 with her husband, Arthur S. Booth-Clibborn [hymn "There is no gain but by a loss"], she resigned from the Army but continued to preach until shortly before her death. She had 5 sons and 5 daughters. This hymn as well as "No mortal tongue can e'er describe" were taken from her writings. - Songs of the Spirit by Martin


A captain, she led two lieutenants (one of whom was Florence Soper, who later married Katie's brother Bramwell Booth) in preaching the Gospel in Paris, wearing sandwichboards when the police forbid them to hand out leaflets. They were not well received. Their street-corner sermons were often interrupted by people pelting them with mud and stones. After repeated attempts by men on the roads to strangle them by their bonnet strings, they began pinning the strings on rather than sewing them. They lived in rented apartments where prostitutes lived in poor conditions. Progress was slow. Opposition was fierce, and those who were converted were given a rough time, sometimes being fired from their jobs. The newspaper reports in France were nearly unanimously critical.

Eventually, Captain Booth moved on to Switzerland, where the opposition was even fiercer. The authorities refused to allow her to rent halls in which to preach, and she was arrested, tried, acquitted, and subsequently deported from Switzerland for conducting an open-air meeting in a forest outside Neuchâtel.

Katie Booth married Arthur Clibborn at the age of 28 on 18 February 1887. It was a well-attended event and subject of interest to the press, which reported that at least 6,000 people were in attendance. On marriage, Arthur and Kate changed their surname by deed poll to Booth-Clibborn at the insistence of General Booth. They had ten children, including the Pentecostal preacher William Booth-Clibborn. Following the birth of their tenth child the Booth-Clibborns resigned from The Salvation Army in January 1902, unhappy at the restrictive nature of the Army's military style of government. At her husband's wish, Katie and the children travelled with him to the cult leader John Alexander Dowie's Zion City, a township about 40 miles north of Chicago. Katie Booth-Clibborn did not believe Dowie's grandiose claims — in 1901 he declared himself the prophet Elijah the Restorer, and in 1904 the first apostle of Jesus Christ — and was offended by his criticism of her father even though her resignation had made her an outcast from both her family and the Army. For the rest of her life she had almost no contact with her father or with those siblings who remained in The Salvation Army.

After becoming Pentecostals in 1906 the Booth-Clibborns together continued preaching and spreading the Gospel as travelling evangelists in Europe, the United States, and Australia for the rest of their lives.

The 'Kate Booth House', a Salvation Army residential environment for women and children fleeing family violence in Vancouver, British Columbia, was named in her honour.

On her death from double pneumonia in 1955 Katie Booth-Clibborn was buried in Highgate Cemetery. Her earlier falling out with her father William Booth and the other Salvationist members of the family prevented her from being buried near her parents and deceased siblings in Abney Park Cemetery.

Her grandson Stanley Eric Francis Booth-Clibborn became the Anglican Bishop of Manchester. - Wikipedia


Franklin, New Jersey, United States