- O Lord! When we the path retrace
Which Thou on earth hast trod,
To men Thy wondrous love and grace,
Thy faithfulness to God;
- Thy love, by man so sorely tried,
Proved stronger than the grave;
The very spear that pierced Thy side
Drew forth the blood to save;
- Though Thou didst pass through woes and grief,
Thy works were ever good;
Although midst sorrows all Thy life,
Thou spak’st no murmuring word.
- Faithful amidst unfaithfulness,
’Mid darkness only light,
Thou didst Thy Father’s name confess,
And in His will delight;
- Unmoved by Satan’s subtle wiles,
Or suffering, shame, and loss,
Thy path, uncheered by earthly smiles,
Led only to the cross.
- We wonder at Thy lowly mind,
And fain would like Thee be,
And all our rest and pleasure find
In learning, Lord, of Thee.